There are two kind of promotional SMS that we receive on our phones: those from your mobile network operator and those from other businesses and organizations.
We’ve already looked at how to stop marketing SMS from companies but chances you’d also want to stop those from Safaricom too. These SMSes include Safaricom updates on discounts, offers, and promotions that the network may be running.
Safaricom typically sends too many of such text messages on a daily basis, which is not only annoying but amounts to spamming. Fortunately, after much public outcry, the telecom provided a way to opt out from such SMS. Here’s how to access and use this service.
Unsubscribe from Safaricom Promotional SMS
- Dial *100# to access Safaricom’s Main Menu.
- Select My Subscriptions from the list of options.
- Next, select the Chagua Ufaidike (consent) option.
- Choose the language you prefer to use between English & Kiswahili.
- In the next menu, select the option No withdraw consent.
- You’ll then get a USSD reply and SMS confirming you have not consented to receiving Safaricom updates via SMS.
Should you wish to start receiving the SMS updates, just follows the steps as outlined above and select the Yes give consent option.