Did you know that you actually share your Airtel airtime in the same way as it’s with Safaricom’s sambaza and Telkom’s PEWA? The procedure may be a little bit different from what we’re accustomed to in Safaricom but the end result of transferring your Airtime is the same. Airtel calls this service of theirs ME2U.
The minimum amount of airtime you can transfer is set to Ksh.10 while the maximum is capped at Ksh.1000. Starting from 24th February 2017 however, Airtel introduced a 3% charge on the amount transferred or a minimum Ksh1.20.
That means if for instance you transfer Ksh50 you will be charged Ksh1.50 (0.03×50=1.50). However, amounts less than Ksh40 won’t incur any charges since the minimum amount that can be charged is Ksh.1.20 (0.03×40=1.20).
Transfer Your Airtel Kenya Airtime
The airtime transfer can be done in three different ways:
- USSD Short Code
- SIM Menu
Option 1: Using the USSD Short Code
1. Dial *140# with your Airtel line.
2. Enter the amount to transfer (10 – 1000).
3. Enter the Airtel number of the recipient.
4. You’ll then get a message that your request has been received and is being processed.
5. Shortly after this you’ll receive an SMS from ME2U confirming the transfer and the amount that you’ve been charged if any.
The recipient will also receive an SMS confirming the received amount.
Option 2: Using the SIM Menu
1. On your phone go to your Airtel SIMCard Menu (Sim Card Toolkit/Applications) and select Airtel Services.
2. Inside the services menu select the first option: ME2U.
3. Depending on your SIM card you’ll find either one or two options in that menu: Send airtime credit and Change PIN. Select the first option.
|Send Airtime Credit|
4. Now enter the amount you wish to transfer followed by the Phone number of the recipient in the next menu. If you have the number in your phone book you can search it using the Phonebook option instead of entering it manually.
5. You will then be prompted to enter your ME2U PIN. If it’s your first time using the service, the default pin is 0000. You can change this later on as explained at the end of this article.
6. That’s it. You’ll shortly after this receive an SMS from ME2U confirming a successful transfer.
Option 3: Using SMS
1. Open your SMS Messaging app and send a message with this format to 5050:
2u [phone number] [amount] [password]
E.g. 2u 0733333333 10 0000
|ME2U Transfer SMS|
2. You will then receive a confirmation SMS from ME2U of a successful transfer.
Changing Your ME2U PIN
As mentioned earlier, the default ME2U pin is 0000. To change it, you can use the Change PIN option that can be found by going to the ME2U option inside the Airtel SIM card Menu. You can also change it using SMS by doing the following:
1. Open your SMS Messaging app and send the following message to 5050:
Pin [old password] [new password]
E.g. Pin 0000 1234
The password should be a 4 digit number, and while you are at it, choose a unique PIN that you don’t use anywhere else.