Safaricom quietly rolled out a new feature that allows their prepaid subscribers to download statements of their usage.
This feature is much like the M-PESA statement the only difference being that it shows a billing of all prepaid transactions instead of mobile money transactions.
One can request for either a Full or Mini Statement. Currently, the full statement includes transactions for the past three months, while the mini statement shows those of the past 24 hours.
Included in the full statement is a detailed history of the following and their corresponding charges:
- SMS / MMS
- Recharging (topping up the account)
Beside the charges, the history includes a log of the type of transaction, accounts charged and time of transaction. For instance for calls, the number called is listed along with the time of call, duration the the call lasted and the amount of charged.
A cumulative total of the money spent including the total VAT charge is also included in the statement.
How to Request for a Prepaid Statement using mySafaricom App
1. First download and install mySafaricom app if you haven’t yet. It’s available on Android, iOS and Windows Phone.
2. Complete the initial setup then inside the app open the Check Balance option.
3. Below the Account Balance, you’ll find buttons to request for your Prepaid Usage Statement.
Option 1: Requesting a Full Prepaid Usage Statement
- Tap on the Full Statement button to request your preferred statement.
- You will then be prompted to provide the email address where the statement will be sent along with the period of the statement. The maximum period is 3 months backwards from the day of request.
- Tap the Request button when finished.
- You will then receive a confirmation SMS indicating the statement has been sent.
- Open your email address and you should find a new message from [email protected]. Attached will be the statement in PDF format. Unlike the M-PESA statement, this PDF is not password protected.
Option 2: Requesting a Mini Prepaid Usage Statement
- Tap on the Mini Statement button.
- A brief summary of all the transactions completed in the past 24 hours will then be displayed in a table within the app.
- Click on the green arrow to show full details of a transaction as shown below.
How to Request for a Prepaid Statement using Safaricom Selfcare Portal
The statement available from the Selfcare Portal is similar to the Full Statement but with a few columns missing.
- Go to Safaricom Selfcare Portal and log into your account or register if you don’t have one yet.
- Once logged in, go to the navigation menu then under the USAGE AND BILLS item select Usage History.
- Your latest transactions will then be displayed in the loaded page.
- To select a specific period, click on the calendar button and select the date ranges. The maximum period is the previous 3 months.
- Click on the down arrow to expand and view details of each of the transactions.
Once you’re done viewing the statement, remember to log out from your account in case you’re using a public computer. To do that, go to My Profile > Log out.