Resetting one’s KRA iTax password is an easy process provided one has access to the email address they registered their account with. This is because the reset password is sent to this email address.
There are situations however when this may not possible. A common scenario is when one can no longer access their registered email address. This could be due to a variety of reasons such as:
- The email address account has been closed permanently. This may happen if you registered your iTax account with your company’s work email. It’s the policy of some companies to close email accounts of employees who no longer work for them e.g. after retirement, resignation or a lay off.
- One has forgotten their email’s password and cannot login or reset it.
- The email address password has been changed after being hacked.
- One registered with another person’s email address who they can no longer reach.
Getting Back Access to Your iTax Account
Fortunately, one may still be able to access their account even under such circumstances. This will involve two things:
- Your iTax details have to be updated by changing the old email address with a new one that you can access.
- Once this has been done, you’ll go through the normal reset process in order to receive your reset password.
Step 1: Update the Inaccessible Email
Email address amendments usually require an approval from a KRA agent to take effect. But this is only possible if one can access the account to make this change in the first place.
Since this is not possible in our case, you’ll have to contact the KRA customer care to make this change for you. Provide them with details on why you can no longer access your registered email address. They will open a support ticket for you and give you on a way forward e.g. providing an alternative email address where the code can be sent.
You may be asked to provide a scanned copy of your National ID in addition to your KRA PIN.
You can contact the KRA customer care through the following channels:
- Email: [email protected]
- Live Chat: Visit the KRA Support Homepage. At the bottom of this page click the Chat With Us button. You’ll then be prompted to create an account first so as to begin chatting with an agent.
- Social Media: Twitter Handle (@KRACare)
- Phone: +254 20 4 999 999 or +254 711 099 999
- In Person: Visit the nearest KRA Office
After the change has been made you’ll have to wait until this change has been approved. When this is done, you’ll be sent your updated KRA PIN Certificate to your new email address. The approval may take some time.
Step 2. Reset the Old iTax Password
Once the above has been done, you can proceed with resetting your iTax password as usual:
1. Log in into iTax by entering your KRA PIN.
2. In the password page, click the Forgot Password/Unlock Account link.
3. In the Forgot Password page, answer the security stamp question then submit.
4. You’ll receive the reset password in your email address.
5. Go back to the iTax login page and login with this password.
6. This will then take you to the first time log in page where you’ll be required to create a new password and security question & answer.
7. After doing this you’ll be able to access the iTax dashboard. You may however be prompted to first verify your email address again by sending a verification code.
Send it then go to your email address. Copy the code (OTP for Email Verification) and submit it in the prompt to complete the process. You should now be able to access your iTax account dashboard.
Preventing this from happening again
To avoid such a situation in the future:
- Use third party email services such as Gmail, Yahoo and Microsoft for your iTax account registration or email changes.
- If you must use a work email address, make sure to update it with one you can access before you leave the company.
- Use a password manager program or app to securely store your login credentials or record them somewhere to avoid forgetting them.