In 2018, Safaricom in partnership with PayPal and TransferTo (now DT One/Thune) launched service that links one’s PayPal account with their M-PESA wallet.
The service provides two essential money transfer functions:
- Withdrawing money from your PayPal account into your M-PESA account
- Topping up your PayPal wallet using M-PESA
This service is therefore quite a lifesaver for the thousands of Kenyans that work online as freelancers or those that buy goods and services using PayPal. Previously, some had to resort to using middlemen for withdrawal as Equity bank was the only reputable institution providing PayPal services.
Before you can use this transfer service, you’re required to link your PayPal account with your Safaricom M-PESA number. This is only takes a few minutes and thereafter you can begin using the service.
Link PayPal Account with Safaricom M-PESA Account
- If you had already logged in using that computer, your account will be displayed for you to log in. If it’s not your account or the one you intend to link, make sure to log it out first.
2. Next enter your Safaricom M-PESA number and click the Link your accounts button. The phone number may be auto-filled for you if you’ve it already saved inside your PayPal’s account settings.
3. A confirmation code will be sent to your Safaricom number via SMS. Enter this 4-digit code in the next window and click the Confirm button.
4. You’ll now get a conformation message that your PayPal account has been linked to your M-PESA. Click the Start using the service button to withdraw from PayPal to M-PESA or to top up your PayPal account using M-PESA.
If you encounter problems linking your accounts, you can get help by contacting the TransferTo customer service.