Did you know that its actually possible to buy Telkom Kenya airtime using Safaricom’s M-PESA service? This is a lifesaver in situations where you don’t have T-kash or if you can’t find Telkom airtime in the shops.
This service has been there for quite a long time and is provided by Pesapal’s and iPay’s Paybills (Lipa na M-PESA). Consequently, you will incur some transactional charges from M-PESA when buying credit this way, but if you buy credit equal to or below Ksh.100 you won’t be charged anything thanks to M-PESA Kadogo. As such, if you need airtime above Ksh.100 do multiple transactions.
- This service is no longer free. Safaricom has since revised the M-PESA charges for the airtime paybills and is now charging Ksh.2 for amounts equal to or below 100.
- To continue topping up your Telkom for free using M-PESA consider buying airtime using Tingg (formerly Mula). It attracts no transactional charges whatsoever for all amounts.
1. Go to the M-PESA Menu on your Phone.
2. Select the Lipa na M-PESA option then choose the first option Pay Bill.
3. Select Enter business no. then enter one of these paybill numbers: 777711, 510800 or 220220, then press OK when done.
|Enter Paybill No.|
4. In the next menu select Account.no then enter your Telkom Kenya number.
|Enter your Number|
5. Under Enter Amount enter the amount of credit you want to purchase e.g. 10 and press OK when done.
6. Enter your M-PESA Pin.
7. Confirm the transaction by pressing the OK button.
8. Make sure to confirm the transaction details. Should the details be wrong enter any number or letter to cancel the transaction before the 25 seconds lapse.
9. Now just wait for the M-PESA transaction SMS on your Safaricom line to confirm the transaction.
|M-PESA Transaction SMS|
As soon as it arrives you should also receive a top up SMS on your Telkom line from e-jaze.
|e-jaze Top-up SMS (notice the bonus)|
10. To confirm the top up dial *131# to check your balance.
- Topping up through the 777711 paybill currently gets you a 20% bonus for top ups above Ksh.20. (Updated: Sep. 2018)
- Tired of buying airtime using Paybill numbers? Give Mula a
try. It supports buying airtime across all networks using M-PESA, Airtel Money, Equitel, MasterCard/Visa e.t.c. with no transactional charges for all amounts.