Airtel and Telkom Kenya do not provide call barring activation codes like Safaricom. Instead they advise their subscribers to activate the call barring via the call settings provided in their handsets.
Most mobile devices from feature phones to smartphones running Android include call barring settings though it could be under a different name such as call blocking or call filter.
To enable call barring for this two networks, follow the instructions below for Android phones.
Activating Call Barring Settings on Android Phones
The call barring settings on Android phones are usually located either in the Phone app or in the Settings. This is the stock (default) phone app that your phone came with and not any other dialler app that you may have installed from the playstore.
1. Via the Phone App
1. Open the Phone app and on the top right of the screen tap on the three vertical dots and select Settings or tap on the menu button and select Settings.
|Open Phone Settings|
2. Next navigate to one of the following locations depending on your phone:
- Call > More settings > Call Barring
- Call > Additional Settings > Call Barring > Voice call
- More Settings > Call Barring > Select SIM Card
- Calling Accounts > Select SIM Card > GSM Call Settings > Call Barring
ii. Via the System Settings
Open the Settings then go to one of the following locations depending on your device:
- Call > Call Barring Settings
- Call > Operator’s Call Related Settings > Call Barring / Restriction
- Call Settings > Additional Settings > Call barring settings
|Call Barring Settings|
Once here you can bar (block) calls in the following categories:
- All Outgoing Calls
- All Outgoing International Calls
- All Outgoing International Roaming Calls
- All Incoming Calls
- All Incoming Roaming Calls
|Outgoing and Incoming Calls Barring|
When prompted for a password enter 0000. That’s the usually the default password assuming it hasn’t been changed before. If it rejects that one try 1234.
If you want to disable the call barring, in the same menu you can deactivate (cancel) all or specific barring categories.
- The call barring settings are linked to your line (SIM Card) via your mobile network operator and not your phone. Therefore if you change phones, the call barring settings will be still be in effect until you disable them.
- Dialling ##002# does NOT deactivate call barring but instead clears all call forwading (call divert) settings.
- Should you get an error message when activating or deactivating any of the call barring settings please contact customer care for assistance.